Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Craving Spring - Spinach Vegetable Salad with Garlic Pesto Dressing



Mother Nature gave Philadelphia a little spring weather tease yesterday, and of course, I gave right into her by tossing aside my boots and my coat and replacing them with flats, a sweater, and a light scarf. I could smell fresh air and experienced a little too much excited anticipation of the warmer months to come. (Note: I purposely ignored the sporadic piles of white snow that sat stubbornly atop the grass around campus) But, what this weather REALLY made me think of is the richly colorful, delicious food that I love to throw together during the spring weather.

In keeping with my spring fever, I decided to make this salad for dinner tonight, hoping to bring a little color and good feeling to an ordinary Tuesday in February. I wanted it to look lively and vibrant, and taste light, and a little zesty.

The Salad

2 cups of baby spinach
2 sliced fresh peppers - I chose a bright yellow and orange
1/4 cup sliced red onion
a handful of fresh sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup feta cheese
teaspoon of capers

The Dressing

I tried this tonight for the first time and I already think I should bottle and sell it!

1/4 -1/2 cup EVOO
4 thinly (really thinly) sliced peeled garlic
2 tablespoons pesto
dash of sea salt
a few dashes of ground black pepper
a dash of olive juice (just drizzle a little from a jar of green olives)


If you wanted to make this into a more filling meal, or make it the main course, I would toss some grilled chicken or grilled shrimp into the mix. Otherwise, this salad would make the perfect starter salad, or a fun meal to enjoy for lunch-- while outside of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment