Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Quick Roasted Shrimp and Vegetables



Shrimp cocktail has always been a staple appetizer to any Holiday meal on both my mother and my father's side. Sometimes it seems like a competition as to who can find the biggest and freshest jumbo shrimp. After awhile, though, I began to try different ways to eat shrimp. Now, I generally throw it on the stove, or weather permitting, I toss it on the grill. But yesterday, the salad I ordered for lunch came with "Roasted Shrimp." The roasted, or baked shrimp tasted so delicious; much juicer and flavorful than any shrimp I've sauteed or grilled before. (Certainly more tasty than shrimp cocktail) I realized that I have never attempted to roast shrimp in the oven. After trying it tonight, however, I may never cook shrimp any other way. It's also quick, easy, and relatively mess and fuss free.

What I love about this meal is that you can cook an entire meal, vegetables, sides, whatever, at the same temperature, in the same oven, for the same amount of time. That way you don't have to be jumping from pan to pan or microwave to oven. You can toss one pan of vegetables and one pan of shrimp in the oven, set the timer, and go about your business instead of finding different things to occupy you in the kitchen.

First, preheat your oven to 450. Take two separate baking pans and lay a long piece of tin foil on top each one. (This cuts at least some of the annoying pan scrubbing during clean up) Use any vegetables you like, I chose broccoli, mushrooms, and onions. Drizzle olive oil, sea salt, and whatever type of seasoning you're in the mood for. I used rosemary and garlic for this meal.

I whisked together olive oil, sliced garlic, and drizzled soy sauce in a small bowl. Then place (fresh, peeled, and defrosted) shrimp in a big bowl and pour the marinade over the shrimp. Lay the shrimp on the tin foil and if you want you can drizzle any extra dressing over the shrimp.


Bake both the shrimp and the vegetables for 8-10 minutes. The shrimp will taste like you slaved over it for hours. The vegetables will taste equally as delicious. I love the little burnt edges on the broccoli, and the olive oil and spices make the onions taste almost caramelized.




Enjoy !

4 comments: